Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) is a comprehensive content management system, offering a rich set of out-of-the-box components as well as the ability to create custom ones. Components are reusable pieces of content that you can add to your pages in AEM. This guide will walk you through the process of adding a component to a page in AEM.
- AEM components are reusable content blocks that can be added to pages.
- Adding a component to a page involves selecting the component from the side panel and dragging it to the desired location.
- You can configure components by double-clicking on them or using the wrench icon.
- It’s crucial to preview your changes and publish the page to make it live.
Understanding AEM Components
AEM components are the building blocks of your webpage. They come in many types, such as text, image, video, and custom components. Each component has its own set of properties that can be configured to fit your content needs.
Navigating to the Desired Page
Before you can add a component, you first need to navigate to the page where you want the component to be added.
Steps to Navigate to the Page
- From the AEM welcome screen, select Sites.
- Navigate through your site hierarchy to find the page you want to edit.
- Click on the page to open it.
Entering the Edit Mode
Once you’re on the page, you need to switch to the edit mode to start adding components.
Steps to Enter the Edit Mode
- On the top right corner of the page, click the ‘Edit’ button.
Adding a Component to the Page
With the page in edit mode, you can now add a component from the side panel.
Steps to Add a Component
- On the left side of the screen, expand the components panel if it’s not already open.
- Scroll through the list of components and find the one you want to add.
- Click and drag the component to the desired location on the page.
Configuring the Component
After adding the component to the page, you can configure it to suit your needs.
Steps to Configure a Component
- Double-click on the component or click the wrench icon that appears when you hover over the component.
- A dialog box will open where you can set the properties of the component.
- Click ‘OK’ or ‘Done’ to save your changes.
Previewing Your Changes
After you configure the component, it’s important to preview your changes.
Steps to Preview Changes
- Click on the ‘Preview’ button on the top right corner of the screen.
- Review the component and its configuration in the context of the whole page.
Publishing the Page
Once you’re satisfied with your changes, you need to publish the page to make it live.
Steps to Publish the Page
- Click the ‘Page Information’ icon (three dots) in the upper right corner.
- Select ‘Publish Page’ from the drop-down menu.
Adding and configuring components in AEM is a straightforward process that allows you to create dynamic, rich content for your pages. By understanding how to add and configure these building blocks, you’re well on your way to mastering your AEM website management.
I’m Kirill Efimov, an experienced AEM developer with over 10 years of experience in Java and web development. I’m skilled in developing AEM components, templates, workflows, and integrations with other systems, and I’m passionate about delivering high-quality solutions to my clients.
I also believe in knowledge-sharing and staying up-to-date with the latest developments in the industry. Through blog posts, tutorials, and speaking engagements, I’m committed to contributing to the AEM community and helping others overcome the challenges they may face in their AEM projects.